Septic System Do's and Don'ts
Print this list of Do's and Don'ts and keep it handy as a reference.
- Annual Pumping. Have your septic tank pumped once a year to remove solids from the solid chamber of tank. This prevents solids from entering the effluent side of your tank and plugging your drainfield.
- Risers for Low-Impact Access. Keep septic tank lids accessible. Our poly risers bring your tank lids up to or near the surface of the ground to prevent extensive digging.
- Environmenally Safe Additives. Use a tank additive that is environmental friendly, such as A-1 Bugs. These help break down tank contents and prevent blockages.
- Wooden Lid Inspection. Avoid a cave in! Have the wooden lid on your septic tank inspected at least once a year. Any signs of rotting wood indicate replacment. Cave in's are not uncommon as a result of damaged wood lids.
- Use excessive amounts of cleaners, especially bleach.
- Pave, pour concrete, or build over your tank lids
- Run utility lines over your septic tank
- Park or drive on your septic system if you can help it
- Flush baby wipes, sanitary products or cigarettes
- Plant large growing trees or shrubs on or near the tank or drainfield area.